Safe Sport Training
As you know, New York State Amateur Hockey Association, in conjunction with USA Hockey has long been leaders in efforts to provide a safe environment for all participants. That evolution has continued with the adaptation of the USA Hockey Safe Sport Program by NYSAHA at the 2013 Annual Meeting. Safe Sport combines long-standing policies with new initiatives aimed specifically at misconduct that can occur off the ice. Among the components of the Safe Sport Program are carefully defined policies prohibiting various forms of abuse, from sexual, physical and emotional, to bullying, threats and hazing. The policies also address areas where misconduct can occur and are intended to reduce the risk of potential abuse, including a locker room policy, a travel policy, and situations surrounding the ever-expanding growth of social media and electronic communications. More information on the Safe Sport Program can be found at www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining
One of the most exciting aspects of the Safe Sport Program is the online training/education that is available to make members aware of the information necessary to help prevent abuse from occurring in our sport.
All USA Hockey registered coaches, officials and members are entitled to take the training at no cost. If you are a non-registered volunteer, but would like to take the training, register online at USA Hockey as a Manager/Volunteer. There is no cost to do so. The training is comprised of short video segments that take approximately 90 minutes to complete, however, not all training needs to be completed in one session. We believe you will find the training very valuable and informative, and strongly encourage you to access the training.
The Safe Sport Training is valid for 2 seasons. Thus if you took the training for 2013-14, you will not need to take the training again until the 2015-16 season (at which time a shorter “refresher” course will be available).
To access the training:
- You’ll need your USA Hockey membership number (confirmation number from online registration as a Player/Coach, Official or Manager/Volunteer). If you don’t know your USA Hockey membership number (confirmation number) you can access it from www.usahockeyregistration.com – under Member Options, click on ‘Request Duplicate Registration Confirmation.’
- To access the training click on the link http://training.teamusa.org/accounts.
- If you have not previously registered for Safe Sport training, click on the yellow “Register” button on the right hand side of the page. You will then be asked to provide the information required to create a Team USA Account (see form below)
- Provide the following information:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email address (please note that each individual taking the training needs a unique email address).
- Create an account password.
- Select and answer a security question.
- Select New York State.
- In the drop down menu for “Organization”/ “Select Organization”, if you are a coach, volunteer, or player select USA Hockey; if you are a referee, be sure to select USA Hockey Officials.
- You will then be asked for your “Membership Number, which is your USA Hockey confirmation number or your referee number.
- Next click on the red save button on the bottom right side of the page. You will only need to register the first time to set up the account. You now have an account with Safe Sport. You will only need to register the first time to set up the account. Once the account is set up, you will sign in using your email address and password.
Once you have registered, complete the following steps to access the training:
- Click on the icon for the Store
- Select USA Hockey Safe Sport (please note there is a generic Safe Sport training option, but you should select the version customized for USA Hockey)
- Add to Bag
- Place order
- Launch Course