Home
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

EJYH Meeting – March 21, 2018

6:00pm – Jackals Locker Room, First Arena

Attendees – Karie Magliocca, Jeff Osmond, Brie Homer, Matt Peris, Mark L’Amoreaux, Bernadette Patelunas, Amy Walsh, Deb Benjamin

Absent – Scott Merrick

Visitors – Dominic Edwards, Brian Bolden

Call to order – Jeff called meeting to order at 6:00 PM.

Meeting minutes were posted and approved for February.

 

Registration – This year we had nine teams, which included 122 kids. There were two Mini Mite sessions with 26 kids participating. If numbers remain consistent with this year we expect 40-50 Mites, 27 Squirts, 28 Peewees, 28 Bantams, and 11 Midgets for the 2018-2019 hockey season.

 

Treasurer – The bank card was hacked this past week, however we were lucky enough that it was noticed very quickly. Only $250 was charged from the account. It is currently being disputed with the bank and is expected to be refunded back to the account. New cards have been ordered to avoid a reoccurrence.

 

Fundraising – We will be looking at some ideas in the off season to possibly replace the lotto board raffle. Mark will be inviting a gentleman who will propose some different fundraising ideas for the organization.

 

Equipment – Coaches bags need to be collected now that the season is complete. Mite Red and Mite White jerseys need to be collected, as well. For next year, we need to be sure to have things controlled and organized in the equipment leaving the room, specifically jerseys.

 

 

Old Business

Banquet - March 27th at the First Arena. Set up will be Monday, March 26th at 6pm. Legends will be catering the event. Table rentals are being done through Monahan’s. The cost is $15 per adult and $10 per kid. Coaches, managers, and EJYH players are free of charge for the event.

Peewee, Bantam, & Midget Evaluations –Matt is working on selecting unbiased evaluators for the evaluations this year. Each evaluator will be offered a stipend and have a solid background in hockey. Peewee evaluations will be held March 28th and 29th from 5:30 – 7:00pm. Bantam evaluations will be held on April 15th from 8:30 – 10:00am and 2:45 – 4:15pm. Midget evaluations will be held on April 15th from 10:15 – 11:45am and 4:30 – 6:00pm.

Corning Joint Committee – The meeting with Corning looked at the benefits of combining at the various levels, as well as a possible girls’ team. It was decided at this time there is not enough to move forward with a girls teams. The Mite level for both organizations contains a large number of kids, so it would not be the place to start. The Midget level will be looked into more. It would need to be decided, which organization would have the Snowbelt and which would have the travel team. The Peewee level is also a good fit. This year the Peewee evaluation will be for both organizations. Once evaluations are complete, the organizations will have a better idea on if we could form two travel teams and one Snowbelt team. If we have the numbers and could create two travel teams this may allow the organizations to have a Tier II and Tier III travel team. Jeff motioned for the board to wait on making a decision on the travel classification for our organization until evaluations are complete, Karie seconded the motion. Motion was carried.

Mite Move Up Report – 13 kids participated in Mite Move Up. Practice was held the first night to introduce the kids to icing and off-sides. The second night was a scrimmage that included the 1st year Squirts. The parents meeting went well.

Website – The process is moving very slow due to the design having to be done then sent in to the host. The host is slow in responding. Deb will look into the process to see if we can speed it up in any way.

 

 

New Business

Central Section Spring Meeting – The meeting will be held April 22nd at the Bob Cecile Center in Syracuse.

Documentation/ Retention of Misconduct – Brie will look into a simple form that managers can use to document any issues with kids, parents, coaches, or managers throughout the season. Incidents need to be documented and retained, so that the board is able to look back into formal records if issues continue. Matt will create a Google Drive for the retention and organization of the incidents.

Upcoming Board Elections – Elections will take place at the April board meeting. The position for President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Director of Affiliates will be up for election. Karie Magliocca has completed her 3 year term and in order to be able to run again for the treasurer position she needed the majority to be in favor. Brie motioned for Karie to be able to run again, Matt seconded and the majority agreed.

 

Board Incentives – A committee consisting of Scott, Matt, and Bernadette look into this idea. The goal is to help encourage more people to get involved, plus to continue to help for a longer time. The committee will decide if this is the way to encourage more people to help and what incentives would be best.

Golf Tournament – Matt, Deb, Mark, and Joe Magliocca will be on the Golf Tournament committee. They will begin the planning for the annual event in the off season.

Off-season Fundraising – The board will be working on some ideas for off-season fundraising. A few ideas were mentioned that will be looked into. They were a floor hockey tournament, adult dodge ball, table during First Arena events, hockey moms night to learn to skate better, and moms wine and design.

Tournament Fund – Deb motioned for a Tournament Fund to be created that would take the left over money from February Freeze and allow it to be used for future tournaments. It would also allow us to use funds from other fundraising, to go to helping teams have funding for other tournaments throughout their season. This was done this year for Jam and was very helpful. Matt seconded the motion.

Joe Moran Tournament/ Mite Mania – The possibility of changing the name for the Mite Mania tournament will be looked into.

Snowbelt Fundraiser- Jeff will email the organization to let people choose if they would like to participate on their own in the Snowbelt 10,000 Pucks for Kids Fundraiser that the Snowbelt is putting on. It will benefit the Golisano Children’s Hospital.

 

 

Motion to adjourn meeting – Matt motioned to adjourn, Mark seconded.  Meeting adjourned at 7:25pm.

Next meeting is April 16th at 6pm at the White Eagle Club.